I'm at the National Drug Court Conference for a couple days. Today after the conference finished up I decided to do something a little different. I rented a beach cruiser bicylce to do some site seeing. The beach cruiser they rented me was old, only had 1 gear, no hand breaks (its been a long time since I've had to pettle backwards to start, like little boy long time ago), and may have been a woman's bike. But never the less, I was determined to do something different.
I left National Harbor and headed out on a white shale pathway, which eventually turned into a paved greenbelt. I rode over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and entered Old Town Alexandria Virginia. Old Town was very nice. The buildings were historic and was exacted what I expected this area to look like. Then, I decided that I would follow the greenbelt along the Potomic River towards Mount Vernon. The Potomic River is beautiful. I rode along through trees and through a wildlife preserve. Wooden foot bridges weaved through marshes with lilly pads and willows. Mount Vernon was nice. It was neat to see where George Washington was born.
I will make a commen on beach cruisers. Other than the seat being comfortable, I don't know why anyone would want to own one. They are big and bulky. The one gear thing doesn't make going up hills very enjoyable either.
But overall all it was a great excursion.
No comments:
Post a Comment